Subject: the LW list?!!
From: Ace Miles <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:57:28 -0500

Lately there has been a bunch of talk on the list regarding the speed of LW
on the Amiga and how it may be a conspiracy to switch users over to the PC. 

Also I've seen a lot of posts about how much better other programs are than
LW or how much less expensive they might be, yadda, yadda, blah,blah,blah.

You can flame me all you want, I've got to say it anyway.

First, this is a LW list. If this was just the 3D animator list or some
non-platform/program specific list I could understand it. I know we all have
frustrations but I, for one, am tired of weeding through the huge pile of crap.
This is why I tend not to read the newsgroup. Every other post is talking
about a crack for LW or whether the great Stranahan likes LW or not.

I believe if you have real complaints you should be addressing them to
NewTek directly. Unfortunately, I don't believe they will ever get seen by
anyone of importance here on the list. I'm not talking about addressing bugs
or other problems, that can be quite constructive. I'm talking about the
constant NewTek bashing. This is just plain counter productive. All this
does is promote more bad feelings, make new users worried that they may have
made a mistake and possibly keep people from becoming users.

Yes, there are a large number of "better" packages out there. I use some of
them at work. However, LW is my favorite, it's the one I can use at home
with my Flyer or my PAR or my PC. I can then go to work and use it on the PC
or the SGI.
It's the best tool I've seen for polygonal modeling and "bang for the buck"
wise Layout just keeps getting better. I personally want NewTek to succeed.

As far as the Amiga LW conspiracy goes... I don't think so!
When I first saw Allen at the old First Amiga User's Group, he was showing
off renderings he had created on his new software. All he used to talk about
was making it better and better. Neither Allen or Stuart seem like the kind
of guys who are in this just for the big bucks. They both started creating
3D software so they could HAVE FUN MAKING MOVIES! They are like most of us
on the list. It's more than a job... it's a love.

-Ace
     -------------------------------------------------------------     
	Ace Miles * Senior Animator * Time Warner Interactive
	
	   [email-masked] (work)  or   [email-masked] (home)